FAQs: Ask the Electrician

DB Electric is owned and operated by a Licensed master Electrician as well as his team of electricians. If you have any sort of electrical question, we have the answer. Here, we’ve listed some of the most commonly asked questions.

Licensed Electrician Near Me

Q: Are you a licensed electrician?

A: Yes, DB Electric is licensed with the Maryland Department of Labor. License #13531.

Q: Why should I hire an electrician? A handyman is cheaper.

A: We understand some people want to save a few bucks. But a handyman is not licensed or trained in electrical work (unless you find a retired electrician for a handyman). This means that if they run into any sort of wiring issue, they won’t know the proper way to fix it, or bring it up to code, and may do something unsafe. Handymen are also not licensed or insured, which puts you at additional risk.

Q: Why is my GFCI outlet not working?

A: This happens when something trips the GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) tied into the outlet. Try resetting it.

Q: How do I reset the GFCI outlet?

A: First, unplug anything from the outlet. Push in the “Reset” button. For a newer GFCI outlet, this button will be red, and the “Test” button will be black. On older GFCI outlets, the RESET button is generally on top. When you press the “Reset” button, you should hear a click, and the outlet should start working again. If you have a GFCI circuit breaker, you may need to reset it there.

If resetting it doesn’t work, and the GFCI keeps tripping, you may want to call a licensed electrician to troubleshoot what’s going on.

Q: Why is my light switch not working?

A: First, check to make sure you don’t just have a burnt-out bulb. If the bulb is fine, it may be one of several things:

  • A broken switch mechanism
  • A burnt-out fuse
  • A loose wire
  • A faulty circuit cable

Most of these are easy fixes for a licensed electrician.

Q: Why is does half of my home not have power?

A: If you have only half the power in your home, typically the following has occurred:

  • A main breaker has blown.
  • The home has suffered a Phase Loss due to a blow fuse, broken wire, or thermal overload.

Q: How do I know if I need an electrical panel upgrade?

A: If your home, barn, or commercial building is older, you may need an electrical panel upgrade so your electrical system can keep up with all of todays appliances, electronics, and machines. Signs you need an upgrade include:

  • The electrical panel is more than 25 years old.
  • You have circuit breakers that trip frequently.
  • You have fuses rather than circuit breakers.
  • You don’t have all the electrical outlets you need (or want).
  • Lights flicker or dim when a large appliance is turned on.
  • You smell a burning odor.

All of these are indicators you need an electrical panel upgrade. And that last one says it’s an emergency!

Q: Do you serve businesses, or just homeowners?

A: We do both. If you need a residential electrician or commercial electrician, we’ve got you covered. Just give us a call to let us know what you need, and how urgent it is, and we’ll get you on the schedule.

Call Us Whenever You an Electrician

Whether the electrical panel in your home or business needs an upgrade, or you need new light fixtures and ceiling fans installed, we can help. We offer prompt, professional, electrical services to homeowners and businesses in Cecil, Harford, and Baltimore counties. Call 570-807-7941 to schedule your project or electrical repair. If you’re not in a rush, you can also use our contact form to get in touch.